Thursday, September 1, 2011

Retest

Based on the many suggestions I have received from numerous people, I have decided to retake the ACT.  Why am I retaking the ACT instead of the SAT?  Because the SAT is HELL.  Not to say that the ACT is pleasurable to take, but it's a whole lot better than the SAT.  Why?

Well, for starters the SAT is a whole lot longer.  Seriously, I took it and got, like, 3 breaks. It just goes on and on FOREVER.  You know when you have those nightmares where you're doing school, then you wake up and you go to school, and then the entire day just seems to last forever?  That's what the SAT feels like, only at least 3 times worse.

And then there is no predictability with the SAT.  All the sections are completely randomized.  How can you mentally prepare yourself for the next section when you don't even know what that is?

But perhaps the worst aspect of the SAT is the confusing wording.  Seriously, I read the math problems and rarely do I even know what they're asking.  It's like, "WTF?  Can you re-word that in English?"

It takes a certain person to be able to take the SAT and do well on it.  Unfortunately, I am not that person.

My ACT scores where a lot better than my SAT scores.  Even still, I'm still not very satisfied with them.  I scored a 26, which isn't necessarily BAD, but it's probably not good enough to get me into some of the top schools in the country.  All the schools I'm applying for are very  selective, except my safety schools.  Considering that I will only be graduating with a 3.55 weighted GPA because I slacked off my freshman year, I need all the help I can get.

So, this time around I am aiming for at least a 30 (but I would really like a 34+, so I'm obviously going to study my brains out...again!)  These were the scores I got my first time:

ACT Score: Round 1
ENGLISH: 31
MATHEMATICS: 19
READING: 27
SCIENCE: 26
COMPOSITE SCORE: 26

Yeah, I really need to improve my math score.  I'm two years ahead in math, but for the life of me I can't wrap my head around word problems (so unfortunately I could not do AP Calc).  So I self-studied word problems for an entire month before the test.  *Pause* Come to think of it, that's really the only thing I studied (I brushed up on my English too, but I spent literally 1 hour studying for reading and science.  That is, 1 hour total, not separately.)  Oddly enough, despite my obsessive studying and cramming the night before, my lowest score was in math.

I probably could have received a lot better score if I only had more self-confidence in myself and my answers.  Not to blame anyone, but perhaps if my boyfriend (now EX) hadn't insisted that I would fail at the ACT despite my efforts, then maybe I wouldn't be retaking the ACT right now. *Irritated irritated irritated*

*Ahem* Anyway, enough with analyzing my past scores.  This time I plan to:
1. Brush up slightly on English (can definitely get a higher score on that)
2. Have my math teacher tutor me with word problems
3. Focus on first mastering the subject and THEN working with time (wasn't doing this first time around!)
4. Actually STUDY this time for reading and science.  If I got a 27 and 26 with only studying a half hour for each, imagine how high a score I could get if I seriously studied for them.

My goal is 34.  Of course, I would also be happy with a 32.  But anything below a 30 will greatly irritate me.  (Remember that I'm applying to some of the best schools in the country!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© Inaniloquent Ramblings, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena