Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Death to Computer Programming



Back when I was a sophomore in high school, I thought it’d be really cool to do something in programming.


Then I found out that computer programmers really didn’t live a glamorous life, and in actuality worked outrageous hours and had to sit for 12 hours straight typing tedious code.  Talk about bursting my bubble.

Anyway, I’m talking about this because the other day I realized just how much I would hate doing anything in programming.

I finally decided to install and try out Kanon, one of the visual novels I recently downloaded.  So I install the game, add the voice files, and install the English patch.  About 10 minutes into the game an error message comes up saying “REALLIVE.exe has stopped working.”

Obviously I’m rather irritated that my game has stopped working, but seriously, how hard could it be to solve the problem?  I’m computer savvy; I figure I should be able to get the game up and running in no time!



 


After around 4 FREAKING HOURS I finally figured out that officially installing the English patch was somehow screwing up the .dll file, or something weird like that.  So I just ended up copying all the English patch files and putting them in the game folder.  The English patch was supposed to officially configure these files, so since I didn’t install the English patch a few of the menu options are in Japanese.  Still, beats not being able to play the game at all.

It’s times like this that I feel incredibly lucky.  Yeah, I may spend the majority of the day being bored and pitying myself, but hey, it’s 500 million times better than being a computer programmer, lol.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© Inaniloquent Ramblings, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena