Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Hidden Meanings in Songs

Last night I was watching some old music videos on Youtube and remembered some crazy things I've heard about hidden meanings in songs.

For instance, I've heard that "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" was intentionally given that name because it's actually an acronym for LSD.  Yep, apparently the Beatles were purposely advertising that they were high on LSD when they wrote that song.  As if it wasn't obvious enough based on the lyrics -_-"

And then there's "Turning Japanese," which is actually supposed to be about masturbation.  No idea where that one came from.  It seems like a pretty random, meaningless song to me.

Personally, I think these theories are a bunch of BS.  People just like to try to find connections between things, whether or not those connections actually exist.  I mean, let's look at this from a logical standpoint.  Majority of bands from back then were totally high when they wrote songs.  Has anyone ever thought that maybe these songs have absolutely no meaning whatsoever and are just the result of powerful psychedelic drugs?

Of course, there are songs that really do have pretty explicit meanings.  How come no one talks about these songs?  Like "California Gurls."   I mean, based on the context and the explicit hand gestures I saw on the music awards, "melt your popsicle" really only has one meaning.

That vocaloid song "Never!" also comes to mind.  I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure "natto" has a sexual meaning there.

And let's not forget "She Sings the Mourning" by the Coral.  "Sister certain, wrapped in rags."  "...temptress eyes, cuts right through the family ties."  "Salem's sight invites incest."  This is very obviously about incest.  I mean, it says it in the song.  You can't get more obvious than that.

Not like I think anything's wrong with incest.  As long as it's consensual and stuff it really doesn't bother me.  HARU X SORA 4EVER!!!!!!!!!  lol.  But seriously, I don't see a problem with it.  I say as long as no one's getting hurt, it's none of my business what you're doing behind closed doors.

Oh, by the way, since we're talking about it now, who's you're favorite anime couple?  Please put in comments :)

1 comments:

  1. I appreciate your concern reading those hidden meanings in songs and well you have a point as not all songs are created to have their very specific thoughts in it. Usually, depends on the emotion of the composer and how they actually dealing it when the time they created something as such.

    _____________________________
    acapella sheet music

    ReplyDelete

© Inaniloquent Ramblings, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena